Wednesday, May 14, 2008

No Cannes Do

I've been to Cannes. Not during the Film Festival, obviously. Its a nice town, outrageously monied, pretty, and the Mediterranean improves every piece of urban planning it touches by virtue of its sheer lovely expanse of blueness. Its not a patch on nearby Nice, which has more soul and grit and flavour. But Nice ain't got no Film Festival.

The Film Festival excites me on an annual basis, even though it usually takes around another year for all of the films I'm interested in to come out in the UK. Because Cannes truly does get the best - or at least most exciting - of International cinema. Allow me to prove the truth of that statement with a few Coming Attractions.

Paolo Sorrentino's "Il Divo":


Nuri Bilge Ceylan's "Three Monkeys":


Lucretia Martel's "La Mujer sin Cabeza"


Maradona By Kusturica:


Not to mention new films by Clint Eastwood, Walter Salles, James Toback, Woody Allen and Wim Wenders. Or "Ashes of Time Redux"...at long last. Or Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut. Or Steven Soderbergh's two-film Che Guevara biopic with Benicio del Toro, "The Argentine" & "Guerilla", which I'm probably anticipating more keenly than any of the others.

Except maybe this:

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Walks said...

I had a conversation with Nic today at lunch where he asked me what films I was looking forward to for the rest of the year. I drew a blank. Dark Knight I guess, the Charlie Kaufman, Where The Wild Things Are if it ever emerges. Pinapple Express? Apart from that...er...er...

I got the Kung Fu Panda trailer at Speed Racer. It does indeed look awesome.

The only one of those that didn't really grab me is the Martel one, it just looks like every other foreign film trailer to me. I might put a bet on Nuri Bilge Ceylan being offered a job directing the next episode of some franchise. Probably the Alien franchise - he just makes everything look so amazing.

But yeah, Kung Fu Panda is where it's at.

9:15 pm  
Blogger David N said...

I imagine speaking Spanish would improve the experience for you in the case of the Martel one. But for me the atmosphere and the visuals are enough. The Holy Girl is one of the great films of the last decade, I think, so I'm looking forward to whatever she does from now on.

Others for me to anticipate? Tropic Thunder. Wall-E. Redbelt. Quantum of Solace. Summer Hours. Public Enemies, (whenever it gets released), The Brothers Bloom, the Road...some of these may be next year I guess. Theres a film out in about 2 weeks called Shotgun Stories I really want to see, too.

11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home