Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Vintage Trailer of the Week 25

I first saw Michael Almereyda's "Nadja" (1994) in a mid-90s Vampire movie double bill with Abel Ferrara's "The Addiction" (1995). I had high expectations of that film on the basis of Ferrara's great track record, but knew next to nothing about "Nadja", and had no expectations. Life being as it is, of course I was knocked out by Almereyda's film and let down by Ferrara's. But "Nadja" is everything an Indie film should be - witty, stylish, beautiful and original. And it puts some great actors to strange use. And the trailer contains songs by My Bloody Valentine and Portishead. You need know no more:

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Monsieur Le Capuchin said...

I'm a big fan of Hal Hartley's Amateur as well as vampire movies, so I loved this. I've not seen it in many years though, shame it's only region 1.
Agreed it's much better than Addiction, but Addiction has its merits, Walken, obviously, and there's something amusing about the astounding, unbridled pretension.

I wish I had hair like Walken.

8:51 pm  
Blogger David N said...

Yeah, he wears that electro-shock look so well. No other man of his age could really pull it off.

I think "The Addiction" suffers by comparison not only to "Nadja", but also to "The Funeral", the other Ferrara move from that era, which also has Walken and a boatload of pretension, but is just...better.

10:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home