Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Some Films From That 00s Decade

First, a Top 10:
1. The New World
2. Miami Vice
3. Before Sunset
4. In the Mood For Love
5. Yi Yi
6. Zodiac
7. There Will Be Blood
8. The Incredibles
9. Three Times
10. The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

That was painfully whittled down from the 45 - yes, 45 - films below. It would probably be different if I whittled again tomorrow, though the top 5 are pretty unshakeable. I know I must have forgotten things but these are all movies I've loved or movies which have moved me, which is obviously what everybody sane looks for in a film. Some I saw and liked but over time they improved as they lived on inside my head. Some I loved on a second viewing after only liking them the first time.
The list:

Adam & Paul (Leonard Abrahamson, 2004)


"And to be lucky."

AI: Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2001)


"I love you, Mommy. I hope you never die. Never."

Ali (Michael Mann, 2001)


"Is that all you got?"

All the Real Girls (David Gordon Green, 2003)


"I'll miss your face."

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)


"He considered himself a Southern loyalist and guerrilla in a Civil War that never ended."

The Aura (Fabian Bielinsky, 2005)


"Everything tightens up, gets narrower, and you surrender yourself."

The Beat that My Heart Skipped (Jacques Audiard, 2005)


“It’s not about making money. It’s about art.”

Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)


"I feel like if someone were to touch me, I'd dissolve into molecules."

Birth (Jonathan Glazer, 2004)


"I never really liked Sean"

The Bourne Identity (Doug Liman, 2002)


"Look at what they make you give."

Cast Away (Robert Zemeckis, 2000)


"Wilson, I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Wilson!"

Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)


"I just don't think about it."


City of God (Fernando Mereilles & Katia Lund, 2002)


"Honesty doesn't pay, sucker."

City of Life & Death (Lu Chuan, 2009)


"We'll be fine. We work for the Germans."

The Consequences of Love (Paolo Sorrentino, 2004)


"That's true. I've never been very intelligent"


Demonlover (Olivier Assayas, 2002)


"What did you see?"

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)


"Hide me in your humiliation!"

Femme Fatale (Brian DePalma, 2002)


"I'm a bad girl, Nicholas."

Goodbye Dragon Inn (Tsai Ming Liang, 2003)


"I haven't seen a movie in a long time."

The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow, 2008)


"If I'm gonna die, I want to die comfortable."

The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004)


"No school like the old school."


In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai, 2000)


"I thought I was in control."


The Intruder (Clare Denis, 2004)


"Your worst enemies are hiding inside."

Los Angeles Plays Itself (Thom Andersen, 2003)


"So now we know."

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (Peter Weir, 2003)


"He fights like you, Jack."

Miami Vice (Michael Mann, 2006)


"But him - I don't like how he looks."

The New World (Terence Malick, 2005)


"There is only this - all else is unreal."

Nobody Knows (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2004)


"She's not coming home today."

The Return (Andrei Zvyagintsev, 2003)


"Where did he come from?"

Solaris (Steven Soderbergh, 2002)


"I could tell you what's happening, but I don't know if it would really tell you what's happening."

Spartan (David Mamet, 2004)


"You need to set your motherfucker to "receive"."

The Squid & the Whale (Noah Baumbach, 2005)


"Mom and me versus you and Dad."

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (Park Chan Wook, 2002)


"You know why I have to kill you."

Team America: World Police (Trey Parker, 2004)


"I promise...I will never die."

Three Times (Hou Hsiao Hsien, 2005)


"No past, no present, only a hungry future."

Touching the Void (Kevin McDonald, 2003)


"I'm going to die to Boney M."

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)


"One night, I'm gonna come to you, inside of your house, wherever you're sleeping, and I'm going to cut your throat."

United 93 (Paul Greengrass, 2006)


"Open the cockpit and nobody will be hurt."

Unknown Pleasures (Jia Zhangke, 2002)


"The Monkey King has it easy."

Wall-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)


"Time for lunch - in a cup!"

The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)


“I don’t know if the story I’m about to tell is entirely true.”

Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)


"I live a blank."

You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, 2000)


"I could use a tranquilizer."

Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)

"Hey Bullitt, it's been a year, you gonna catch this fucking guy or not?"


25th Hour (Spike Lee, 2002)



"Let an earthquake crumble it, let the fires rage, let it burn to fucking ash and then let the waters rise and submerge this whole rat-infested place."

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Monsterwork said...

Is the refusal to do reverse order a contrary thing?

Watched Master and Commander again two days ago. John Culshaw.

12:02 pm  
Blogger David N said...

Not deliberately contrary, no. I just don't see the point of any cheap suspense, I always feel irritated by it in the lists of others.

I've only seen that Culshaw as Crowe impression once and it was more Culshaw as Maximus so it doesn't effect my view of Master & Commander, which only seems richer each time I watch it. Are you saying you liked the film less because of it?
Doesn't effect my view of Gladiator either, actually. Crowe is too charismatic a movie star for an impression to hurt him, I think. Or maybe I just like him ad an actor too much.

12:57 pm  
Blogger Beezer B said...

I reckon.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Beezer B said...

Thanks to you I now have a quite long list of films to catch up on from this decade, a list to catch up with from 2009 and then another list of films to see in 2010. This might quintuple my film watching for the year.

8:59 pm  
Blogger Monsieur Le Capuchin said...

I am terrified at the prospect of a decade top ten. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance would be in there, though.
Sympathy, Children of Men, There Will Be Blood...Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, obviously.
I've also got catching up to do though probably not as much as Beez.

5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home