Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One More Chance to Get it All Wrong

Too many YouTube videos of late, I think. But I just can't resist this one. Because its an advert, and I've run a few adverts here before, when I think they're good enough. And because its directed by Michael Mann. Anybody who knows me knows how much I love Michael Mann. American Football I can take or leave, but of its two most dependably compelling recurring instants - the ball spinning in the sky having left the hand of a Quarterback, and men barrelling heads down into one another at top speed like stags - this advert focuses entirely on one, and shows it over and over and over. The soundtrack, full of impact sounds and fevered breathing and fingers scrabbling on padding and warcries and noises of pain - is fantastic. The music? From the Last of the Mohicans, and somehow, it works.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Monsterwork said...

It's a motif of his, I realise. This weird act of violence where the aggressor is focusing on a point past his combat. The Hawkeye run is the most explicit, and this is practically a replay of it, but both Collateral and Miami Vice have sequences where the protagonist(s) neautralise opponents without taking their eye off their objective (Korean witness in C, Neptune and his prostitutes in MV)

Watched Revenge. Mother. Of. God.

12:18 pm  
Blogger David N said...

You are correct, I think. I wonder how much he used the music because he felt it suited the advert and how much he wanted to refer to/evoke Last of the Mohicans? He doesn't generally reference his own stuff so much as he sharpens and deconstructs motifs, themes and images. Funny to do that in such a setting, too...

12:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home