Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vintage Trailer of the Week 1

YouTube is a treasure trove of old trailers. I love old trailers. So I'm going to post a few, in lieu of actually having to go to the trouble of, you know, writing anything.

I haven't seen this film in years, but the trailer actually makes me want to watch it again, which is all you can really ask for from a trailer. The film? Well, its directed by John Boorman and features a bizarre Ennio Morricone score, so just how bad can it be?



Ok, pretty bad. But I remember it as being an interesting kind of bad, which is often the kind that becomes good with repeat viewings. And Martin Scorsese loooves it: "The picture asks: Does great goodness bring upon itself great evil? This goes back to the Book of Job; it's God testing the good. In this sense, Regan (Linda Blair) is a modern-day saint — like Ingrid Bergman in Europa '51, and in a way, like Charlie in Mean Streets. I like the first Exorcist, because of the Catholic guilt I have, and because it scared the hell out of me; but The Heretic surpasses it. Maybe Boorman failed to execute the material, but the movie still deserved better than it got."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sunny Walks said...

I've watched it three times now, and those locusts are still freaking me out.

11:14 pm  
Blogger David N said...

Thats really the only bit of the film I have a strong memory of, too.

12:54 am  
Blogger Monsieur Le Capuchin said...

I've definitely seen a trailer for Exorcist 2 before, but it was nothing like this. If it weren't for the voice over I'd suspect that this was a 'user created' trailer rather than a studio edit. Total batshit.

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home